Friday 19 August 2011

Prom and Bluebirds

Yesterday I went to the Prom with Paul. An all-Russian programme: Shostakovich L'Age d'Or and 2nd Violin Concerto, with Elisabeth Batiashvili (who has a most beautiful sounding Stradivarius, the Engelmann) which was fantastic. After the interval, Stravinsky's Petrushka and Tchaikovsky's Francesca da Rimini, so a brilliantly orchestrated, loud evening with plenty of musical fireworks, amazing percussion and terrific rhythms. Well worth the queue in the rain.



This evening Anthony and I went to see "Bluebirds", at Above the Stag. I really like the venue - up a side staircase of the pub, with only about 50 seats, and you are right on top of the stage.We've seen "Blink" there on two previous occasions, and the productions are always really good. It's a musical of sorts, set in a 1945 ENSA theatre, with songs from the war. Good cast and some great numbers which fitted around the characters storylines. Two of my favourite songs were there too, Blue Skies, and A Nightingale sang in Berkeley Square. A most enjoyable evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting - please tell me what you think - I love to read your comments!